Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks Distribution Apprentice (B or C Class) Linemen for expansion with Berkeley Electric Cooperative in the South Carolina Lowcountry. Successful candidates will possess existing Overhead Distribution experience as an apprentice class lineman or long-term experience as an Operator/Groundman able to demonstrate readiness to grow into a greater role. Preference may be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire crews. SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation & holidays and a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well as Optional Critical Care Insurance and LifeLock Identity Protection. For any employee hired in 2017, benefits are available beginning January 1, 2018. For any employee hired in 2018, benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following their hire date. We also offer a 401k Plan with a substantial company match.
May apply to attend SUI's Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program following 6 month's of employment.
Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Job Duties and Requirements:
• Work safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized conductors.
• Capable setting poles and anchors according to safety policies and specifications.
• Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
• Does all other related work as required to complete the job.
• Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
• Capable of learning distribution voltages on a circuit.
• Must be familiar with induced voltage.
• Capable of learning to understand and read blueprints.
• Capable of assisting with inspecting and recognizing structural problems.
• Able to work productively from an aerial device.
• Capable of assisting in troubleshooting.
• Able/willing to function within a Team environment and share knowledge with fellow crew members as appropriate.
• Able to work alone on de-energized lines.
• Capable of obtaining knowledge of wire stringing techniques.
• Capable of learning and understanding how to sag wire from structure or bucket.
• Able to assist with assembly and erect poles to all heights.
• Able to assist in framing and setting most basic line structures.
• Able to assist in framing a de-energized pole structure in the air.
• Able to assist with installing all types of compression connections.
• Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces.
• Capable of properly installing and removing PPE and cover up.
• Capable of properly inspecting rubber goods, covers and PPE.
• Must be able to climb different types of structures (wood, steel, etc.) and possess the necessary tools to do so.
• Understands how to tie various lineman knots.
• Capable of making up and using a hand line.
• Understands grounding procedures.
• Understands principles of proper equipment set-up.
• Able to identify different types of materials used in line work.
• Understands minimum approach distance.
• Understands flag and tag procedures.
• Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
• Able / willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able / willing to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able / willing to lift in excess of 50 lbs, when required.
• Able / willing to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
• Able / willing to work Overtime, when required.
Sumter Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace employer.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.