Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks Equipment Operators for long term expansion on the Duke Energy System in South Carolina. Successful candidates will possess existing Overhead Distribution experience as an Operator or long-term experience as a Groundman able to demonstrate readiness to grow into a greater role. Preference may be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire crews. SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation & holidays and a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well as Optional Critical Care Insurance and LifeLock Identity Protection. For any employee hired in 2017, benefits are available beginning January 1, 2018. For any employee hired in 2018, benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following their hire date. We also offer a 401k Plan with a substantial company match.
May apply to attend SUI's Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program following 6 months of employment.
Possession of a valid Class A CDL is PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Job Duties and Requirements:
• Work safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized overhead lines.
• Possess professional demeanor and interact in positive way with fellow crew members, general public and customer representatives.
• Possess basic knowledge of proper techniques for stringing overhead wire.
• Possess working knowledge of proper techniques for setting poles and anchors.
• Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
• Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
• Able/willing to function within a Team environment and share knowledge with fellow crew members as appropriate.
• Proficient in operation of heavy equipment.
• Possess basic knowledge of rigging principles.
• Understand the proper use and maintenance of hand tools.
• Capable of receiving and following directions.
• Possess a basic knowledge of materials used in line work.
• Able to identify primary and secondary voltage on a circuit.
• Must be familiar with induced voltage.
• Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
• Understands the basic concepts of equipment set up and grounding.
• Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces.
• Understands minimum approach distance.
• Understands flag and tag procedures.
• Capable of making up and using a hand line.
• Possess knowledge to properly inspect rubber goods, cover and PPE.
• Able/willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able/willing to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able/willing to lift in excess of 50 lbs, when required.
• Able/willing to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
• Able/willing to work Overtime, when required.
Sumter Utilities Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace employer.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.