Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks Groundman (Entry-Level) for long term expansion on the Duke Energy System in South Carolina. Successful candidates will possess education and/or experience in a related trade or demonstrated interest in long term development in a specialty construction career. Our Groundmen are the basic foundation of our work crews...making this a learning position with excellent growth potential. SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation & holidays and a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well as Optional Critical Care Insurance and LifeLock Identity Protection. For any employee hired in 2017, benefits are available beginning January 1, 2018. For any employee hired in 2018, benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following their hire date. We also offer a 401k Plan with a substantial company match.LifeLock Identity Protection.
May apply to attend SUI's Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program following 6 months of employment.
CDL Class A is PREFERRED. Employees hired without a CDL may be expected to obtain one within 90 days of employment.
Job Duties and Requirements:
• Performs various manual tasks in the construction & maintenance of overhead power lines.
• Assemble materials on the ground and hoist them into the work area using handlines.
• Assist other crew members filling pole holes and trench using a shovel.
• Flag traffic and set up job sites as directed.
• Maintain organization of tools and materials on work vehicles.
• Clean up and organize job sites at completion of work.
• When aptitude is demonstrated and work allows, will receive training in the operation of some trucks, light equipment and tools.
• Will receive training in safety, first aid and other related topics.
• Able and willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
• Must be able to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
• Willing to work over-time, when required.
Sumter Utilities Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Employer.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.